Monday, February 23, 2015

Last note from France

Avignon


I just got back from spending two miserable days in Avignon. The first day, it rained with thunder and lightning which was all too close. I didn't want to be exposed so I got inside quickly.

After the lightning and thunder subsided, I did walk around but first I bought a cheap pair of shoes as I didn't want to ruin my good shoes walking in all the rain. With my new shoes and my Monaco umbrella, I walked up the "rue de la Republique" from my hotel to the "Palais des Papes". As I was a senior, I received the special entrance fee of 9 euros and for 2 euros more I received a headset to announce in English the guided tour through the chateau (or palais). To be honest, I was not impressed. The only thing of interest to me was the models and the description as to how the chateau was built. I am glad I did not live in that era when the chateau was occupied as it must have been very cold with all the stone walls, floors and ceilings. The only heating that I could see was a fireplace. (Maybe had I visited the chateau in the summertime when it is warm, my attitude would have been different. As it was, I was cold and a bit wet so that may account for my cynicism.)

After visiting the chateau, I had lunch at a little hole in the wall that was recommended. It was costly, but the cuisine was very good. How the French Chefs can take simple ingredients and make a presentation so beautiful and at the same time very tasty is a talent. When out and about, I spotted a high-end dining room and went in to make a reservation for Saturday Evening.  My luck didn't hold, they were full and wouldn't even consider me, a single. Besides, the dining room would not be open until 10 o'clock that evening. Hell! The time of 10 o'clock is my bed time so that was out. I had to accept something less. (When the French dine in the evening, it is generally at 8 o'clock.)

Sunday was no better. The sun was out but the winds were gusting up to 150 km/hr. It was cold. As a result, I didn't do much site-seeing. I did see the bridges over the Rhone even the one that only goes part-ways across. There were three Viking River Boats tied-up along the shore of the Rhone. This is obvious not the time to cruise the River Rhone.

The center of Avignon is not much larger than about a square kilometer or so and is completely enclosed by a very large wall. The city is very clean with "non crottes de chiens" as they have little boxes equipped with plastic bags (all free) for dog owners to help themselves and pick up after their dogs. There are also little containers to deposit the doodoos. Speaking of dogs, the breed of dog that I saw most was the "Jack Russell" type.

All the stores are closed on Sundays in France, even many of the restaurants. On weekdays the town squares are crowded with people, but on Sundays; it is the very opposite.  There is something that I can't figure out is the significance of the "carrousels" or merry-go-rounds in the town squares in France. I first saw them seven years ago in Strasbourg, now in Avignon and Montpellier and they all seem to be identical. Strange! Regarding town squares and pedestrian malls, I first saw also these in Strasbourg, Stockholm and Copenhagen. It seems to be common in Europe. Government Street in Victoria would be an ideal street to make into a pedestrian way. However; I don't think it will be happening in Victoria as the thinking in that city is too staid.

There are two things that I miss here in France and they are a "bran muffin and a good cup of coffee". I have searched a number of grocery stores for muffins. They just don't have them. The closest thing is a cupcake with lots of chocolate chips in it. The French love their chocolate. They sprinkle chocolate chips into all their desserts. As for coffee, their coffee tastes like "Nescafe Instant" and if you just say coffee all you get is a demi-tasse and pay twice what it's worth. Asking for "Cafe-Americane" is no better, but at least one gets a three-quarter size cup. They don't have mugs here. I thought by going to a McDonalds that I would get a decent cup of coffee but no, it was again the Nescafe in a demi-tasse.  Oh for a good cup of coffee! I should be thankful though as they do make good wine and cheese here.

Well I'm going to close now. My next letter, will be from Arbutus Ridge in Cobble Hill as I have only one more week of classes. By the way, not to brag; I have been moved up to a higher level class at the Institute.

Love

Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment